history of our house goes as far back as the eighteenth century. Originally the
“Post” was named the “Rössle” (meaning the horse’s inn) and it is assumed that
the name changed to the Post when the state owned postal service took possession
in the beginning of the nineteenth century.
At this time Balzers was a
reloading point for goods being transported over Luziensteig to Italy.
the eighteenth century the Post-Innkeeper was also worked as private letter
The letters were supposedly passed to the “Fussacher” messengers,
who in times prior to state-controlled postal services transported goods,
letters and travelers between Milano and Lindau,.
In 1817 the first
state-operated letter collecting station and later the telephone and telegram
transmitting offices were founded. This gives us an indication to the
importance of Balzers and the Post in conjunction with international transit
The “Post” Inn was well renowned as documented that the Russian General Suwarow stopped here in 1799.
1935 the old “Post” was destroyed by a fire and the new a considerably smaller
structure was named the Hotel Restaurant Post.
In 1981 the current owner,
Viktor Kindle bought the building and after numerous renovations the Hotel was
appointed with 4 stars. As of October 2004 the Hotel is named the HOTEL HOF